In early 2000, Glenn Cardier began work on Rattle The Cage, his first album of original songs in 25 years. The critical acclaim for Rattle saw the Australian singer-songwriter, once again armed with his battle-scarred Martin guitar, performing solo at major blues, roots and folk festivals as well as sharing the stage with the likes of Ray Davies, Bob Geldof, Rodriguez and Judy Collins.
Since his early recording days at Festival Records, Cardier had grown to appreciate the power of a well-arranged song performed by talented musicians. His long, self-imposed exile had led to a loss of contact with the Australian musical community. His friends came to help. Rock guru Glenn A Baker and the late bluesman Earlwood Greg put him in touch with a number of Sydney musicians.
The Sideshow was born. The name drawn from the Cardier song Sideshow Alley from his first CD.
Cardier always imagined the Sideshow to be something of an evolving line-up with guest players often sitting in on sessions and gigs. He has often coloured the lyrical, rock'n'blues Sideshow sound with trombone, cello, harmonica and piano accordion.
The current core Sideshow line-up has been together now for some years and this fully fledged, crack band has been enthralling audiences at Byron's Bluesfest, the Gympie Muster as well as Cardier's old stomping grounds, Sydney's Basement and the Eastern Lounge, Roseville.
Rex Goh - Australia's most in-demand lead guitarist. Rex has featured in numerous bands and recordings.
Davo Fester - Drums, percussion, vocals
Phil Grove - Piano, organ, piano accordion
Mick Malouf - Upright and electric bass, vocals
- One of the delights of a festival will always be the great bands you find on outside stages. Yesterday one of those was Australian songwriting veteran Glenn Cardier with his supertight band in a packed Juke Joint tent...
- Australian songwriter Glenn Cardier delivered a brilliant performance at the Juke Joint with his band the Sideshow. If you are at Bluesfest today don't miss his 3pm set.
- With regard to Glenn Cardier & The Sideshow....
- There was a buzz on the ground all right!
- Out on the floor, the sound was perfect.
- You know this but you have really hit on something special, the Beefhearty blues and the melodic stuff to contrast with that, the strong lyrics, the wry humour, the great players.
- My son, who writes great lyrics himself, was most impressed. That’s got to be a good sign getting through to someone who is 21...'
- Hi Glenn
- There was a particular energy about the bandages!!!...the joint was jimsonweeds hoot!!!! Bravo to alia love the Juke Joint - a hidden gem away from all the massiveness...
- Hi Glenn,
- Well Done!!
- As global Chairman of the PLAYING FOR CHANGE MOVEMENT I want to thank Glenn Cardier for joining us at the PFC Sydney Benefit Concert together with Jimmy Barnes.
Glenn's performance's with us ranks with the best Blues Bands we have played with, around the world. We have recently recorded with Keith Richards, Manu Chao, Sarah Bareilles and many more. Your Band would sit proudly with any of our acts.
Peter Noble mentioned to me after the Bluesfest that he received incredible feedback about Glenn. Your new lineup won many new fans, young and old.
We look forward to working together at the next opportunity. Best Regards,
Home I Music I The Sideshow I Videos I Reviews I Interviews I Gigs
Photographs I Biography I Lyrics I Merchandise I Links I Contact
CDBaby I iTunes I Facebook I MySpace I iHear
This site was designed and is hosted by Japetus
© Copyright Glenn Cardier 2009 - 2018